Friday, May 29, 2009

I scream for ice cream

It's such a nice day out that I'm thinking about refreshment. Summer means ice cream and here's where you can get great cold stuff in St. John's:

Moo Moo's 88 King's Rd.
At this corner store/dairy shop fresh Newfoundland milk is made into amazing ice cream in all sorts of flavours of hard-packed yumminess. About 400 flavours have been developed in Moo Moo's basement kitchen. The most famous is Turtle Cheesecake which you can buy by the tub if you're so inclined. There's waffle cones and cups, milkshakes, soft serve and a couple new flavours every visit.

Dairy Queen Topsail Rd. and Portugal Cove Rd.
This spot is a long-time standard in ice cream and cold treats. Try the dilly bar or dipped cone. Blizzards are also great.

Auntie Crae's Water St.
This local food shop now has frozen yogurt. Yum.

Berg's Manuals, Long Pond and Mount Pearl
A bit of a drive but if you're out that way Berg's is a real treat. Ice cream, waffle cones, sundaes and probably anything else ice-cream related you'd want.

Know a great ice cream spot I didn't mention? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Do you (or any of your readers) happen to know where I can get a custard cone in the St. John's area? Not a soft-serve or an ice-milk dessert, but a yellow, creamy, dreamy, real custard cone. The closest I know of is Hogan's in Northern Bay, and it's been a year or two since I've been there, so maybe they don't even have it anymore, either. Please let me know if you think of a place!

    ReplyDelete